Thursday, July 17, 2014

Make your own playdoh! You will thank me later!



made 3 quick batches of playdoh this morning for a fun play activity.  This is so easy I literally made the playdoh while I was talking on the phone to a friend!  You have everything in your house probably and once you have tried homemade playdoh you will never go back to store bought.  First things first- 

- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1TBSP oil
- 1 TBSP cream of tartar
- food coloring or a packet of koolaid 
- 3/4 cup boiling water (put a glass measuring cup in microwave for 2.5 min) 

Mix all your dry ingredients and then add the boiling water.  Give the mixture a couple turns to combine and then let it cool.  I pop mine in the fridge because I'm super patient like that!  Once it's mostly cool dump it on the counter and knead it for several min.  Initially it's sticky - that works it's way out as you knead.  

This is the awesome blog where I got this recipe and she has some great pictures and tips 

http://mamapapabubba.com/2012/09/21/the-best-scented-no-cook-play-dough/

*here is a tip of mine or an admission of my failure whatever - I cannot make double batches.  I have had great success making single batches.  The second I double a batch it doesn't turn out so take that or leave that.  

Today we used koolaid and made grape, strawberry-kiwi, and very berry playdoh.  

I put a ball of playdoh on placemats at the counter and initially only included these cool plastic picks that I found at (ahem- the liquor store).  As they played I slowly put other loose parts in the middle for them to use.  



H had been playing with the first batch while I made the others so she didn't last as long.  She did have fun sticking things into the playdoh, patting it on the counter and attempting to eat it.  W and SK got to work immediately creating.  Sk made a very elaborate hermit crab habitat and family.  If you look carefully her creations really do look like a hermit crab!  

The older two can spend an unlimited amount of time with loose parts and their imagination - I just love listening to them chatting away! 








No comments:

Post a Comment